Monday, March 30, 2009

Red Gerber Daisy & Strawberries


One of the perks of painting flowers are all the pretty bouquets you get to have around the house. This red Gerber Daisy was part of a glorious bunch that sat on my kitchen for the better part of a week. I love red and these large blooms just caught my eye.

I worked out a preliminary sketch than transfered it to the board. You can see some of the petals I roughed in. I paint in a direct manor, but I never can get all the detail in one pass. As it drys I can go back adding color, lightening and darkening as needed.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

This is fabulous. The subject stands off so nicely from the dark background.

Holly Zemak said...

Thank You Elizabeth.

Sandy Mastroni said...

looks wonderful ...
OH I wish I could paint with oil paints . Early morning light glows !

magicmyst said...

Hi Holly, lovely rendering of a still life. The use of red in the flower and again in the strawberries is magnificent. Red is such a powerful color.
Kay

Karen Hargett said...

I love the reflections - great start on the gerbers.

Holly Zemak said...

Thanks for stopping by Sandy - Love your Bunny Pillow on Etsy. I do not have the patience to sew any more.

Holly Zemak said...

Thanks Kay - Red is my favorite color.

Holly Zemak said...

Thank you Karen - Just finished it, so I will post the completed piece in a day or two.