Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Sparkle & Velvet

Because of our cool weather I have been able to have Pansies in my garden all summer. I love the dark purple in the center of these flowers. So, I have been working on this painting for a bit. Trying to show the contrast between the smooth glass surface, as opposed to the soft velvet petals. What I like is the rich sparkle of the yellow glass pitcher, letting the light thru. There are some very rich reds in there that I am trying hard to capture. And it amazes me when you start to look closely just how many different colors you really find. My hope is to finish this by the end of the upcoming weekend - lets see if I do.

7 comments:

magicmyst said...

Gorgeous colors Holly. Its good to see a post from you. Are you still busy doing your course? Kay

Karen Hargett said...

Oh this looks great already - missed seeing your blog posts.

Holly Zemak said...

Hi Kay - I have been taking classes all summer. And I found some part time work. That is why the posts have been few. But since this is my first love, I am still painting and always will.

Holly Zemak said...

Hi Karen - Thanks for stopping by - I worked on the painting this morning. Trying to get back on a schedule.

Cathy said...

Hi Holly, I have just got back to posting too. Nice to catch up with everyone again. This is coming along beautifully. That red cover is amazingly zingy and the purple pansy is looking lovely. I look forward to the finished painting. I am glad for you that you haven't had too hot a summer. We have one heatwave and a couple of extra hot days and that was that. Cool days and rain for the rest. I am not complaining though. It is definitely starting to get an autumnal chill in the air now though.

Holly Zemak said...

Hi Cathy - Welcome back, we had a cool summer which did allow me to keep the Pansies well into August.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

It's great to see work in progress and I'm fascinated by your technique - selecting areas and working on each until completion. Lovely. Best wishes.
Lesley